When a woman does not have a menstrual cycle for 12 consecutive months and loses the ability to become pregnant naturally, menopause occurs. The usual age range of menopause is from 45 to 55, but it can take place before or after this age also. Menopause causes uncomfortable symptoms like hot flashes, weight gain, etc. In most cases, a few lifestyle changes help deal with this condition, says the best gynaecologist based in Kolkata.
When does menopause begin? For how long does it last?
Most women experience symptoms of menopause 4 years before their menopause starts. Symptoms may continue till 4 years after a woman’s last periods.
Perimenopause takes place before menopause begins. During this time, many factors indicate and determine that you will start to have your menopause, says a gynaecologist of The Newtown Clinic. During perimenopause, hormones of a woman’s body start to change and prepare for menopause. The menstrual period becomes irregular during this time. You may have late or early periods. You may also skip one or more periodic cycles. The flow may also change; it may be heavier or lighter.
Symptoms of menopause:
Each woman experiences a different kind of symptoms during their menopause. Research has accumulated almost all those unique experiences. The symptoms may include:
- Less frequent menstruation
- Heavier periods than you normally have
- Lighter periods than you normally experience
- Hot flashes, night sweats, and flushing
- Weight gain
- Vaginal dryness
- Difficulty while concentrating on something
- Reduced libido or sex drive
- The problem in memorizing things
- Dry skin
- Dryness of mouth and eyes
- Increased urination
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Soreness of breasts
- Tenderness of breasts
- Racing heart
- UTIs – urinary tract infections
- Reduced muscle mass
- Painful joints
- Stiffness of joints and bones
- Reduced bone mass
- Less full breasts
- Hair loss or thinning
- Increased hair growth – on other areas of the body like the upper back, chest, etc.
- Facial hair
- Hair growth on the neck
The symptoms may be severe if you have a habit of smoking. The duration may also vary. In case of severity, it is always preferable to visit a famous gynaecologist in Kolkata and get yourself checked thoroughly before any complication occurs.
- Slower metabolic function than before
- Vulvovaginal atrophy
- Dyspareunia or suffering from too much pain during sexual intercourse
- Osteoporosis or weaker bones with reduced strength and mass
- Mood swings
- Sudden emotional changes
- Periodontal disease
- Urinary incontinence
- Heart disease
- Blood vessel disease
These complications may occur after a woman starts to have menopause. These complications should never be kept untreated, says the best gynaecologist in Kolkata. Other than medical help, women need emotional support during this time as they go through an emotional and physical shift that kind of breaks them.